Thursday, June 19, 2008

The past few days have been packing, unpacking, cleaning, more packing, more cleaning and more cleaning.  In my oft-neglected bedroom, I uncovered many little trinkets that I have packed away and forgotten for so long.  Past yearbooks, old souvenirs and most cherished:


My box of old letters! I used to have three boxes of these but I cleaned up some and rationed myself this one little box to keep some beloved notes and doodles from dear friends and family.  

I love letters.  I remember when I was little, I always wanted to beat my mom to the mailbox in the afternoon because I wanted to be the first one to discover if one of my pen pals had written to me.  If I do receive an envelope addressed to me, I'd tear that poor letter open and hungrily devour every word my letter-sender wrote.  

Alas, busy schedules and temporary addresses make for no regularly routined letters but I do still get postcards from friends now and then. And I always smile whenever I receive one because it meant that someone was thinking of me even as they're jetsetting across the globe. 

So I want to write you, my dear friends and readers, postcards.  Because even if Facebook displays pictures of me having the time of my life overseas, I still want you to know that I'm thinking of you. So, if you love receiving letters in the mail as much as I do, please email me your address. (janjann@gmail.com)  You just might be gettin' a little something something in the mail sometime soon.  And I'm not talking about a parking ticket.

No comments: