Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lifesavers

I am by no means a high maintenance gal. I like my eyelashes curled every once in awhile and maybe a pair of heels here and there but I can do without a lot of things.  But it was traipsing around Europe that made me realize just how essential and useful some of the smallest of things can be. Below are a couple of items that really pulled me through for my trip.
 

1) running shoes
2) umbrella
3) Coin pouch
4) tissue paper
5) water bottle
6) hand sanitizer
7) hair tie
8) student ID
9) (unphotographed) watch

1) running shoes
My beloved Asics took me everywhere; up the 500,000 steps we take to get down to the city of Montreux, through ice caves in Chamonix and hot streets in Paris, through jogs across the hills of Switzerland, and through hikes up Austrian mountains.  My other shoes had ultra flat soles that pained me every time I walked too long, too hard.  I think I'll be investing in some nice walking shoes for the future but as of the present moment, these babies were it.  I could run in them, walk in them, jump in them...I haven't yet tried wearing an evening gown in them but I don't think the results would look pretty.

2) umbrella
You think, "Europe..summer...not going to rain." You think wrong.  I was amazed at how many times we would step out of a building, belied by the blue skies and think that it was going to be a sunny day only to find the clouds turn on us with a vengeance and drench us in a downpour.  I've been caught in what could only be described as "water being poured over my head by a massive  bucket" raindrops one too many times.

3) coin pouch
Any and all things that would fit into my bright and cheery yellow coin pouch (provided for me by my wise friend Nicole) did.  I went on the trip not bringing a wallet because I knew I would not want the additional bulk. And I was right.  The coin pouch was convenient for storing money, chapsticks, and...well, coins.  It was also easy to carry and fit anywhere.  

4) tissue paper
For a cold, for a dirty toilet, my tissue paper packets carried me throughout Europe.  It was especially good because my friend Sheila got sick towards the end of the trip and I was able to play "mommy" for her and provide her with things to wipe off the snot in her nose. YAY!

5) water bottle
Aw, my ubiquitous bubble gum pink water canteen...
If I had a cent for every compliment my water canteen wrung, it would have paid for the bottle itself.  Switzerland is known to have amazing tap water and everywhere else in Europe charges excruciating prices for h20 so I just brought my "inconspicuous" bottle around, filled up with school or hotel water, and drank merrily away.  Water, it does a body good.

6) hand sanitizer
I'm becoming a little bit obsessed with this contraption. I know I know, you can't use it too much because then your skin will get adapted to it and it will no longer be "antibacterial."  Give me a break, ok?  I just like the fake feeling of clean hands.

7) hair tie
Girls with long hair should always have this around. Especially at dance clubs.  When you're shaking your thang and getting all hot and sweaty, nothing feels better than when all your hair is pulled out of your face.  I've abused the poor dear so much, it snapped before my trip ended.  

8) student ID
Being a student who pays $20,ooo+ a year to go to a public university, it feels nice getting a slight discount here and there just by flashing your ID.  I keep going to places with friends who would forget theirs. HAh! Guess who had an extra euro to buy a baguette later on? Always bring your student ID in a foreign country, folks.  They're more valuable and useful than your driver's license.

9) (unphotographed) watch
Geez, back at home, I hardly ever wear my watch for fear of getting a watch tan but abroad, this is certainly a necessity!  Especially since I didn't own a phone, getting separated from the group requires knowing when the set time is to meet up again.  It also helped me in terms of knowing when to eat, which is highly important as well and crucial to my physical and mental well-being.

I just wanted to write an ode to these small objects, giving them thanks for what most people would consider a meaningless job.  They accomplished what they were made to do and made me very proud.  You guys are my heroes!


No comments: